Recipes from Great, Great, Great Grandmothers 160 year old German cookbook are recreated by me...her modern day, cooking-impaired descendant.

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Adventure Begins

My Great-Great-Great Grandmother Dahms was born in 1822 in Stettin, Prussia.  She worked as a cook in a large German manor when she was young.  Her handwritten cookbook has been passed down through the generations and, as the unofficial historian of the family, it eventually landed on my doorstep.

I am not a cook.  In fact, I tend to avoid the kitchen whenever possible.  Most of the food I eat comes in cardboard boxes that go in the microwave or is handed to me from drive through windows.  My homemade meals primarily consist of cereal and PB& J's.

I am definitely not a baker.  The only cake recipe I ever make turns out wrong over half the time (still tastes good though, even when it's sunken and soggy in the middle and burnt on the outside).  I baked a pie once...it was awful.

I'm probably the least likely person in my family to take on the challenge of recreating Grandmother Dahms recipes, but I'm gonna do it.  There are 36 recipes in the cookbook.  Most are dessert recipes, but some are for main dishes. I plan to try them out in the order they are presented in the book and hope to complete one recipe a week.  I'm going to document it all here - the good, the bad, the disasters.

Wish me luck!

Your Intrepid Historical Culinary Adventurer,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment