Recipes from Great, Great, Great Grandmothers 160 year old German cookbook are recreated by me...her modern day, cooking-impaired descendant.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Schürz-Kuchen - Part One - The Recipe




Transcription:

Schürz-Kuchen

Man nimt von 8 Eier das Gelbe und von 4 daß Weiße 8 Loth Zucker Gewürz nach belieben schlage dies gut durch einander, rührt dan soweit Mehl daran daß es ein dicker Teich wird, rollt es gut durch, schneidet es und backt es gar. Sie können ganz dünn gerollt werden, da sie doch sehr aufgehen, dies werden ungefähr 70 bis 80 Stück

Translation:

Schuerz-Kuchen

Take the yolks of 8 eggs, and of 4 eggs the white. 8 loth sugar, spice to taste, beat all this together very well, then stir enough flour into it so that it makes a thick dough. Roll it well through, cut it and bake it till done. They can be rolled very thin, as they rise quite a bit. This makes about 70 to 80 cookies.
_________________________________

Right off the bat, there are a couple of potential problem areas.  First, "spice to taste"?  What the heck spices are we talking about here.  Based on the other recipes, I'm guessing cinnamon and maybe cardamom. I'll have to do a little experimenting there.  Second, "bake it till done."  What temperature?  How long?  Did she really mean "bake"?  I've found a couple modern recipes for Schuerz-Kuchen and they are all deep fried.  I suppose I'll need to try it baked and fried.  Be back soon after I do some research on the spices and figure out a baking temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Katie, by chance I came to your site.
    My English is not perfect. But I would still love to write.
    I'm from Germany and born in Pasewalk near Stettin
    My grandmother was also from Stettin. Also have now before Christmas Grandma's Baking Book considered characteristic also the recipe of grandma and mother.
    I think it is great that you continue to Lead the Tardition.

    I wish you and your family all the best, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Many greetings from Germany! Simone

    ReplyDelete