Recipes from Great, Great, Great Grandmothers 160 year old German cookbook are recreated by me...her modern day, cooking-impaired descendant.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Cookbook


Sample pages from Grandmother Dahms cookbook

Before I could get started, a couple of problems needed to be overcome:


Problem One: The cookbook is written in German, which I do not read, write or speak.
Problem Two: The cookbook is written in the old German script, which most Germans no longer read or write.

So, I used the internet to find myself a transcriber/translator and found a wonderful gal, Gerda Dinwiddie to transcribe and translate the entire booklet (26 pages total). She even did some research to figure out how to convert the old measurements into modern ones and gave me some basic background on some of the recipes.  Now I don't have any excuses not to start baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment